How to Use SBRnet
Start out by logging on to Internet; Go to this URL: http://www.sbrnet.com. Type your user ID and password in the boxes that appear near the top of the right-hand column of the home page. You will be taken to a page which is almost identical to the page where you started.
Note: IF YOU ARE AN IP AUTHENTICATION CUSTOMER, YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CONNECTED TO THE ACCESS PAGE. NO NEED TO LOG IN.
SBRnet gives you several choices for accessing the information:
- "RESEARCH, STATISTICS, REPORTS AND ARTICLES” IN THE MIDDLE COLUMN ON THE HOME PAGE.
For each sport or category listed, individual pages provides links to:
- All SBRnet market research statistics, including participation, consumer expenditures for sports equipment and footwear, fan market reports, and sporting goods import stats.
- Publication searches for all articles pertaining to the sport. Searches have already been pre-coded for the sport involved, so when using this section, ignore the “Sport” box. For more specifics about the Publications Search, see note (1) below.
- For selected sports (baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey and soccer), facility report searches
- In addition, there is a section entitled “Guide To Market Research” immediately below the sport listings. This “Guide” provides links to samples of the various reports provided in the various sport or category reports.
- LINKS ACROSS THE TOP OF THE HOME PAGE.
These links allow access to:
- Participation Statistics: for all sports, separately for consumer, collegiate and high school
- Sporting Goods: Consumer expenditures for all equipment and footwear products measured
- Fan Reports: For all sports measured including baseball, basketball, football, golf, ice hockey, MMA, motorsports, soccer and tennis
- Venue Reports: Financial information, ticket prices, naming rights, luxury seats, club seats, ownership and financial information for all college (NCAA Div I) and major professional sports
- Team Market Research: Access to all information pertaining to professional and college/university sports teams
- "FULL-TEXT ARTICLE SEARCH" IN THE LEFT-HAND COLUMN ON THE HOME PAGE.
SBRnet's publication database includes over 60,000 articles dealing with all aspects of the sports industry, many articles dating back as far as 1996. Each article is cited with publication source, date and title. Articles are also key-worded to help identify the subject. For example, some articles written about the NFL may not mention "football." SBRnet editors code each article, in this case, the word "football" would be added to the end of the article, so that the article will be appropriately found in a search for "football."
To execute a search, use the following procedure:
Warning: Do not use adverbs such as "under" or "and" or "to" in your search.
- (a) In the "Publications" drop-down box, you may either search for all articles from all publications (the default) or scroll down the menu and highlight one publication. Some of the publications listed may no longer be in print, but articles from these publications have been preserved in the database.
- In the "Year (s)" drop-down box, the default is the current year. If you want articles from previous years as well, make your choice here.
- In the "Sport" drop-down box, the default is "All Sports." If you are interested in articles pertaining to a specific sport, insert that sport in this box (NOTE: THIS SPORT BOX CHOICE EXISTS ON THE HOME PAGE, BUT NOT IN THE INDIVIDUAL SPORT PAGES)
- In the "Keywords" box, the default is to ignore this box. If you're interested in articles pertaining to a subject, such as "World Cup," insert the words into this box. We suggest that you review the "Glossary" provided for more specific search guidance
- Choose "all words" or "any word" or "phrase," whichever is most appropriate for you.
- Click on "Search."
- "QUICK ACCESS" IN THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN OF THE HOME PAGE.
This section is divided into four parts: Participation Summaries, Sporting Goods Market Trends, Professional Sports, and College Sports. Each of these sections provides highlight reports as follows:
- Participation Summaries: summary tables for total participation, participation by gender and age
- Sporting Goods Market Trends: Financial summaries for public companies; trends in sporting goods imports and trends in the total market for sporting goods.
- Professional Sports: access to fan reports, facility reports, directories pertaining to professional sports
- College/High School: access to fan reports, facility reports, participation and directories pertaining to college sports
- "DIRECTORIES" IN THE LEFT-HAND COLUMN ON THE HOME PAGE JUST BELOW THE "FULL-TEXT ARTICLE SEARCH".
The following directories are provided:
- Professional: Links to over 500 professional teams. Listings for each team contain a website link, team location and contact information.
- College: Links to over 2,000 two and four-year colleges in the U.S. and Canada with varsity athletic programs. Users can refine search according to sport, state, academic major and Division (NCAA I, NCAA II, NCAA III, NAIA, NCCAA, USCAA, Junior Colleges, Canadian, Independent). Each school listing includes location, varsity sports offered, athletic director and SWA and SID contacts and links to various school websites.
- All organizations: Links to over 1,000 sports organizations including trade associations, governing bodies, college conferences, professional associations, and professional leagues
- Employment agencies
- Marketing agencies
- Sport management programs: Links to websites and contacts for nearly 500 programs offered in the US and Canada.
- State-by-State: Links to all listings including professional teams, leagues, college athletics and organization directories accessible on a state-by-state basis.